The Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF) is the foundation that conducts all international olympiads since 1996. IMO stands for International Mathematical Olympiad. IMO is one of the most popular and acclaimed exams all around the world. One of the crucial aims of this exam is to find out the best talent at the school level.
Every year students from all over the world participate in this exam to compete and test their knowledge. IMO exam question papers are designed in such a way to check students’ knowledge on various aspects.
Foundational classes (classes 5 to 8) have their unique place in this exam.
Students of foundational classes have some understanding of the desired preferences that they would like to pursue.
In this article, our focus is to understand the eligibility criteria for students of class 6. Few things that they need or require to move ahead in their IMO exam journey.
IMO exam has two levels of exam to test students. Since all the students of classes 3 to 12 are eligible for the second level of the IMO exam, hence students of class 6 are good to go.
Students need to remember that only 5% of students who cleared the first level of the IMO exam will be picked or eligible for the second level exam. Students must understand the importance of each level and step in their IMO exam preparation journey.
Some Eligibility Criteria
There are a few things that students of class 6 need to make sure
- Students or candidates must be verified citizens or long-term residents of any country that they are representing.
- Every student who has registered for the IMO exam is eligible for the first level of the exam.
- Only 5 % of students (* class-wise) who appear for the first level exam are eligible for the second level.
- Class toppers are eligible from each participating school, where for that class at least 10 students have participated and appeared for the IMO exam & scores at least 50% marks are eligible for the second level.
- Top 25 rank holders students in zone wise for each class are eligible for the second level.
School Registration for IMO Exam
Here are some tips for students to register for the IMO exam. Also, the process for schools if they are not registered with SOF to organize the IMO exam.
- Students need to register through schools for the IMO exam. There is one way of self-registration that is explained later in this section.
- Usually, schools register on the SOF portal, and students have to give their names or inform their teachers that they are interested in participating in the IMO exam.
- Students whose schools have not yet registered then they can request their respective teachers to register on SOF.
- Schools can contact SOF through this number ( 0124-4951200) or check other details from their official website.
- This process might take some time, so schools need to register well before the exam dates.
- Also, schools have to pick an exam date for the first level exam before 30 days.
- After schools are registered successfully, students have to fill their forms carefully and they are all set to appear for the exam.
- Interested students also need to pay a registration fee of INR 125, and schools might also charge INR 25 for GST. These amounts may vary for international students.
Self IMO Registration Process for Students
Some students would like to participate in the IMO exam, but their schools aren’t registered with SOF that organize the IMO exam and schools even refuse to register in SOF as well.
For those, there is a way called self-registration for olympiad. Students must make sure that they use this method only when their school is not registered with SOF otherwise their application will be rejected.
Here are the steps that students have to follow
- Students need to visit the official page to register for the IMO exam https://ors.sofworld.org/studentregistration
- Students need to fill in their basic details in that form like name, school name, school address, etc. Students must make sure that every detail is correct. ( Double Check Spellings )
- Students need to select the Olympiad for which they like to appear in this case IMO
- There is an option of book delivery (online/offline)
- Students need to enter the captcha and pay the registration fee ( books charges may be included ).
- The registration process is completed.
IMO Exam Pattern
Here is some information for students in class 6 related to the IMO exam
- IMO exam has two levels, level 1 and level 2. Both of them are the objective-type test.
- The duration of the level 1 exam is 1 hour.
- There are 50 questions for class 6.
- The language of the IMO exam is English only.
- The IMO exam question paper for class 6 includes four sections (this and all other instructions are similar for classes 5 to 12)
- Logical Reasoning – Section 1 contains ( 15 questions )
- Mathematical Reasoning – Section 2 contains ( 20 questions )
- Everyday Mathematics – Section 3 contains ( 10 questions )
- Achievers Section – – Section 4 contains ( 5 questions )
IMO Exam 2021: A few Important Dates
These are a few dates of some important upcoming dates and events
- 4 Dec 2021 – 5 Dec 2021 – Level 1 Exam ( Set A ) | Mode – Online
- 24 Dec 2021 – Level 1 Exam ( Set B ) | Mode – Online
- 26 Dec 2021 – Level 1 Exam ( Set C ) | Mode – Online
- 8 Jan 2022 – 9 Jan 2022 – Level 1 Exam ( Set D ) | Mode – Online
These are all the necessary and required details for a student who would like to appear for the IMO exam. For level 1 there isn’t any major requirement to meet for students. Students need to get started with their IMO exam preparation. IMO exam is usually scheduled at the end of the year to make sure that students have already gone through most of their syllabus