Located in the national capital of New Delhi, the Lotus Temple is an edifice dedicated to the Baha’i faith. The magnificent structure of this building unfolds in the form of a stupendous white petal lotus and is one of the most visited establishments in the world. The design of this shrine was conceptualized by Canadian architect Fariborz Sahba and was completed in the year 1986. This temple seeks to propagate the oneness of the Almighty and is open to all regardless of their nationality, religion, race or gender. The Lotus temple it is one of the seven Baha’i House of Worship present around the world.
As you enter the complex of the temple, you encounter an enchanting entrance gate, beautiful floral gardens and scintillating pools. The pathway leading up to the temple doors is lined with lush green shrubs and a feeling of tranquillity adorns the atmosphere despite the bubbling crowd. Once inside, the mesmerising architecture will lull you into an introspective silence. You can read and chant religious texts of any faith, and musical renditions of religious texts can be sung without any inhibitions in the temple complex. The Bahai Lotus Temple is without a doubt one of the must-visit places in the capital. not just for its marvellous architecture but also to experience a new way of meditation in a completely different, blissful ambience.
Architecture of Lotus Temple
Lotus Temple Guided Tour
What To Do in Lotus Temple
1. Children’s Classes: These classes aim at imbibing values such as generosity, justice, kindness, unity, courage, truthfulness, reliance on God and service to humanity through Baha’i teachings.
2. Junior Youth Classes: These classes seek to develop spiritual and intellectual capacities in children aged 11-14 years.
3. Devotional Meetings: These sessions are aimed at creating a loving and harmonious environment within the community.
4. Study Circles: These meetings are aimed at making a comprehensive study of Bahá’í Writings, Prayer, and Life and Death, and hence create a spiritual consciousness among the people.
In addition to these core activities, Lotus Temple also hosts the One Ocean Events, which is a performing arts series celebrating the unity and diversity of humankind.
Best Time To Visit Lotus Temple
Tips For Visiting Lotus Temple
2. Prayers timings are 10:AM, 12:00PM, 3:00PM and 5:00PM for five minutes and a few prayers from different religions are chanted or read out loud. People are requested to not leave the Prayer Hall during this time, but wait until the prayers are over.
3. Reading non- scriptural texts, delivering sermons, playing instruments and fundraising are forbidden here.